Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: W.W. I DRAFT REGISTRATION
In Response To: W.W. I DRAFT REGISTRATION ()

James,

As I am sure you have already found out, Lee did a great (& accurate) job of answering your question as to the apparent location discrepancy. Jobs of various types took our ancestors away from home for extended periods. As I was reviewing some affidavits in a pension file of a Phillipine War ancestor from Illinois, I can across folks on two different occasions mentioning that they had travelled to Iowa with him to mine coal. The years inbetween the censuses is an eternity in the world of genealogical research, and your dilemma should be a reminder to researchers to be relentless in documenting their relatives. In my opinion, no one can safely assume that just because they found someone in the same location on two successive census enumerations, that that is where they were over the entire timespan. By doing so, you risk never finding valuable clues that could lead you to items you just cannot seem to find-like an elusive marriage certificate!

The suggestion to go over to the military forum was a correct one. However, since you are bound to run across another WWI card before you retire (or expire!) from researching, I recommend you get ahold of John J Newman's book "Uncle, We Are Ready: Registering America's Men, 1917-1918". The book is in numerous public & genealogical society libraries, and is one of the most detailed and easy to read books on the topic. It gives essential information that anyone working with WWI cards should know.

Oh, and by the way, I think that your ancestor worked for the Southern Railway Company.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy