Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Joseph Taliaferro & Frances Wallace married in Caroline,VA

Just checking back through your previous post, I noticed that you mentioned Joe Taliaferro and wife Frances as neighbors of your Mathews family in Caroline County, VA.

Joseph Tolliver (Taliaferro) and Frances Wallace are listed in the "Caroline County African-American Married List 1866." According to this document, Joseph was 26 and Frances 20. They were married about 1864 and had no children. Joseph was formerly a slave of Phil Samuel. Frances had been held in bondage by Wm (William) Toomes.

Although I can't be sure, it's possible that Joseph Taliaferro is related to Walker Taliaferro/Walker Tolliver in the family line I'm researching, which includes Rev. Walker Taliaferro, a son of Walker Taliaferro and Patsy Williams Taliaferro of Caroline County, VA. Walker and Patsy, who married about 1836, also had a daughter Emily who was 22 years old in 1866. This Emily Taliaferro/Emily Tolliver had been married to John Reynolds, also 22, since 1865. John Reynolds had been a slave of Ruffin Coleman, and Emily a slave of Albert Flippo.

Rev. Walker Taliaferro's two sons were Henry and Joseph, born respectively in 1888 and 1907. Henry's mother was Walker's first wife Nancy (Dudley?) Taliaferro while Joseph was Walker's son with his second wife Hattie Wise Taliaferro. Henry Taliaferro could have been born in Virginia or in Pennsylvania where Joseph Taliaferro was born. Rev. Walker Taliaferro also had four daughters of whom one is still living.

Resource: departments.umw.edu/hipr/www/freedmen/CarolineAf-Ammarried

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy