Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: MACK
In Response To: MACK ()

I posted a message on Wednesday 31, 2005 looking for my ancestors the Mack's. I was very interested in finding the mother of my great, great, grandmother Winnie Mack and her family. During the time that I posted the message, all my family information was gathered from the Federal Census records of Sumter South Carolina, from the yrs. 1880-1920. Since then I am excited to write that I have discovered Winnie's mother's name (Hannah Spann b.1834 d.1915) and her father (Lewis Mack b.1820 d.?). I discovered the family living in Swimming Pens Sumter SC. in the 1870 census records. I also discovered that the Mack family was living right next door on the land of their former slave owner Henry Spann and his family. When I discovered that the Mack's was living on the land of a wealthy former slave owner, I was eager to dig more into the slave owners back round. I was amazed to discover from the digging that Henry Spann father Richard Spann left several slaves in his will in 1842. Lewis Mack was one of the slaves that he listed. Noted in the will of Richard Spann, Henry Spann was the new slave owner of Lewis Mack and all his off-springs. The slaves were also living on Richard's Linebaker plantation in Sumter SC, which was sold 2 yrs. after Richard died. Henry Spann kept his fathers slaves with him even after they we're freed. I was estatic to view that my ancestors was right next to their former slave owners in 1870 still living together. I have the death records of Winnie Mack and her brother Lewis Mack. Most of the Mack family is buried at Beluah Cemetery in Sumter SC. I am hoping that posting this brief history of Lewis and Hannah Mack family history, that anyone searching the history of their Mack family will read this and find a connection to these former slaves who has made a strong line of people.

Messages In This Thread

MACK
Re: MACK

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy