Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Hickmans of Kentucky

Dear William,

I wondered how much you know about your Hickman line. I have Hickmans from Kentucky although different counties (Lincoln, Rusell and Wayne) than your Nannie appears to be from (did you narrow her down to the Carter county Hickmans?).

My Hickman family story is an interesting one I'd be happy to share, and on my line they came from Virginia as well as perhaps Maryland. The family story is that there were three Hickman brothers who migrated to America in the early 1800s (exact date unknown). They came here from Madagascar, and were East Indian in descent, possibly from India. Do your Hickmans have a history of being free people of color - or have you found them varyingly recorded at times as black and other times as white?

An interesting side note - I've done alot of Carter County, KY research for my husband's family (and he's been there, his mother and father were born there, and his family goes back to the early 1800s there). Also, interesting, but perhaps just coincidental, that his family lines came from Carter county to Ohio in the 1940s and 50s. Although his family lines are caucasian and cherokee (as far as I know, anything's possible *wink*), and I haven't found any Hickmans in his line to date, obviously not really expecting to - but there were very few family of color in that area at that time, so if your Nannie was in Carter county, it should be relatively easy for you to track her in their county records.

Anyway, if you'd like to know more about my Hickmans - or if you think there may be a link to the three Hickman brothers - I'd love to talk with you further.

Best,

Susan

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy