Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: How to find a Will in 2006
In Response To: How to find a Will in 2006 ()

Sometimes wills just disappear. Shady lawyers. Greedy relatives. It happens. A trust agreement that divided my dad's estate evenly between my half-sister and me simply vanished after his death. I had lost my copy during a move. I wasn't too worried, though, because his financial guardian/attorney had drawn it up and mailed a copy to both my half-siter and me several years earlier. My half-sister, however, produced a 35-year-old will instead, and she inherited 100% of his estate. She and her mother had kept the will in a safe deposit box. The will had been drawn up during the time my father did not know where I was. He and my mother split up when I was a baby and I didn't meet him til I was almost 40. I was too trusting of the lawyer who played dumb, too.

I once heard about a gay man who died w/no will about 15 years ago in CA. He had a house and a live-in partner. The man's family made a will, scrawled his signature, bent and dirtied it up, and presented it to their attorney, claiming they had "found" it. Guess what? It worked. I'm not saying for anyone to do this, but some folks get greedy or desperate when there's a dead relative's money involved.

Good luck to you and yours.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy