Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Panel Suggests Brown U. Atone for Ties to Slavery

Hi Deloris:

Thanks for posting the article in the Times on Brown University. I was puzzled by the first paragraph in the NY Times article. "...creating a center for the study of slavery and injustice and increasing efforts to recruit minority students, particularly from Africa and the West Indies."

Did I miss something? Reporter Pam Belluck writes that Brown wants to reach out beyond the "cultural pool" of the millions of African American students whose direct ancestors were "resettled" in the US and recruit African and West Indian students?

Is that what I read?

If so, Pam Belluck never explains the rationale of "particularly from Africa and the West Indies". That first paragraph sentence echoes a popular trend in news reporting about the cultural divide between African Americans (shiftless, violent and lazy) and Africans and other Africans of the Diaspora (hard working, entrepreneurial).

It reminds me of the stories that my parents and their friends used to discuss about segregated Washington DC. Foreign Blacks with accents or exotic garb would be served at restaurants while African American physicians, professors from Howard etc wouldn't.

I do hope that Pam Belluck's reporting, or lack of it, wasn't deliberate.

My question is why would Brown recruiters want to jump on a plane, travel across the Atlantic and to the Caribbean to find black students?

What a divisive blow to the African Americans of the Diaspora.

K Wyer Lane

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy