Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: 1910 and 1920 Census Lookup for FL

I was searching thru some Wilcox, County info and came across your thread regarding the Carter Family name with connections to Camden, Alabama and Pensacola, Fla.
I am related to a Carter Family with similar roots - my grandfather was named Frank Jesse Carter - born in Camden, Alabama in 1890 (?) to Billy Jesse Carter and Josephine (last name unknown). Billy Jesse was mulatto - his father was a prominent white land owner in Wilcox County who had Billy Jesse trained as a blacksmith and set him up in business in that region of South Central Alabama. Billy Jesse was a property owner and he was despised by his father's (white) family members. After their father's death - the family attempted to retrieve land that the father had willed to Billy Jesse. I believe he was killed during this time / event. Josephine,his wife,was purportedly,full Blood Seminole Indian.
There were a number of chidren born to Billy Jesse & Josephine - Frank Jesse Carter was the youngest. Clara Carter married Jones & lived in Selma - she also married Boykins. There was a brother Adolph (Uncle Money), a brother Sydney and a brother Hunter. Both Sydney & Adolph moved to Pensacola along with Frank.
There are Carter-Jones Family Reunions held each even year - most recently this past Summer in Washinmgton,DC. Clara married Jones - Hunter & Sydney married his two sisters.
Frank Carter attended Snow Hill Institute and then Tuskegee. He married Luiza Johnson of Snow Hill and they moved to Pensacola in about 1916. They settled in West Pensacola on Pottery Road - now called Fairfield Drive. Some Carter Family members still reside at the corner of West Fairfield & "W" Street. The original home where my mother (Lillian) was born is still there on the corner - after 90 years. Members of the family have attended St. Paul's AME Church in downtown Pensacola - forever.
Frank was a farmer who purchased land (for 13 cents per acre during the Depression)and pushed education for "colored children" when it was not very popular. He converted an old truck of his own into the first "school bus" for colored children in Escambia County. Frank raised, corn and other fruits & vegetables as well as livestock & hogs - hauling away food refuse from the Naval Air Station to feed them and then selling the livestock back to the Navy. He also converted some of his farm land (Carter Estates - above Fairfield) in the 1940's & 50's into housing developments for returning Black veterans.
Frank & Luiza Carter had seven children - Frank Jr (1916-60);Lillian Eola(1918); Harriette Elizabeth (1920-92); Chester Arthur(1921-26); Ethel Mae(1922); William Ellis (1926) and Charles Egbert (1928). Five of the seven children attended college - the girls all attended Alabama State in Montgomery, William Ellis attended Tuskegee, and Charles attended Florida A& M.
I wondered if this Frank Jesse Carter is related to your Carter's from Camden / Wilcox County.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy