Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Seeing Your relative in the NC database..what now?

Joseph,
I have noticed that a lot of folks born in North Carolina started out with one first name, but ended up using another later in life. That is probably what you have come across when researching families. Also, sometimes the names are spelled differently in the Indexes from what a person may be known by later, or even differently from the name that the parents actually intended it to be. My experience with North Carolina births is that first you have cases where the parents may not have known how to spell the name they gave to their child, and left it up to the clerks to fill out the forms. Second, the clerks couldn't read the original handwritten forms submitted with the birth names and just listed the name what they thought it may have been. And third, I'm not too sure that some of the clerks really cared what they transcribed onto the official records and you just may see any old name they thought at the time. I believe that my birth record is a case in point to that last scenario which is made even worse by the way it is listed in the database because they just couldn't read what the clerk typed and typed over twice, without fixing it. I don't think any of my descendants will ever be able to find my birth records using my name as they know it. Luckily, my parents kept my birth certificate obtained when I was very young, and has been in my possession since I became an adult.

Deloris

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy