Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: More New Ancestry Databases-North Carolina

JOseph, if the person is still living I would add the data for sure to the "complete" file, but may hesitate to include it in REPORTS about living people. If it is not embarassing or "scandalous" I would include it.

It is a lot more comfortable for most people to focus on those generations that have already passed on. Even then, people are sometimes concerned/irritated/upset that you included (or didn't include) information they find significant. As has been frequently pointed out, many things were known ---- but just not publicly talked about or acknowledged. So generally stick with information you can back up with public records, and include copies of those for the people who say "Can't be that way...Where did you hear that? Where did you get that idea?" If it is family information that was told to you in gossip/story form ("well you know he had a drinking problem and every time he got drunk he would....." or "Grandma always thought so and so was the father of sis's child" kind of stuff) record it, because it IS part of family history, and work to verify it, but don't pass it around freely.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy