Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Caroline Co., VA: Slaveholder Albert R. Flippo

My Emily Taliaferro (1870 Census) was 10 years old and in 1880 Census, I believe she is the same person with a spelling of Emiline T. at the age of 19 years.

She is living with WILLIAM MATTHEWS, listed as his daughter, who I believe to be the brother or cousin of my gg grandmother Susan MATTHEWS from Port Royal, Caroline Co.

Anyone who has a HUGE PIECE of my puzzle for MATTHEWS would make me jump for joy if I knew who SUSAN MATTHEWS cohabitated with....

Susan, born in 1835 and her two daughters, Eliza Betholomew MATTHEWS, born 1864 and my g grandmother, BETTIE MATTHEWS, born in 1863, lived in Port Royal.

Susan and her daughters left VA about 1876 to move to Baltimore Maryland.

ELIZA married a LYNCH from Campbell Co. and Bettie married Samuel MANNS from Anne Arundel Co. MD.

Family legend has it that ELIZA's father was an Indian and Bettie was the child of SUSAN MATHEWS and an indentured servant from England.

I see no proof of that, I see that her mother and father were both born in VA but only once did I hear that her father's name was JAMES.

I would be over the moon if anyone can tell me who the slave owner was for the huge MATTHEWS family in Port Royal. :)

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy