Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Genealogy and Mental Illnesses in the family

You made me think about something, something when I was growing up during the 1950s, you know, as a youngster we often did those things and said those things that in a lot of ways we really did not know, and in a lot of ways some of the parents were to blame because they often brushed things off. Some children suffering from insanity, or retardation, and other things that was not considered normal, they were called Special. Case in point. One cousin of mine, about the same age then, was a very rough young girl who wrestled and who could hit you real hard...of course at the time she was called tomboy. But that was not all of it. She then would curse, and I mean use some profanity that you never would even think of. When people were talking, grown people that is, and she was left from the conversation simply because she was a youngster, she would sit back, like she was in some trance, and then suddenly blurt out incoherent words, even curse words, and she would rant the entire time, until she was forced by her mom to leave. Sometimes she could fight you. Okay...what many of us youngsters thought that she was just one different person, and a lot of times we would tease her, and we would say things, and someone gave her a nickname which at that time I did not know. Now those years have come and have gone, and tests came true that she was mentally insane. Never heard about her anymore, because her family moved away and that was it...and this family never mentions her when you ask about her. Joseph

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy