Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: What is your most interesting discovery?

There have been so many "most interesting discoveries" gifted to me it's difficult to single out which was the most interesting. I think you readers might like to read about my "Most (funny) interesting discovery," I've experienced or as my late father would say when you'd made an outstanding blunder, "Get the bucket out," which was his way of proclaiming you a dummy because you spoke before engaging your brain, therefore, needed a douse of water to wake you up. Here is it.

Now, as a background to this, you must know that both of my parents, my maternal grandfather,and a great great grandmother, uncles, aunts, cousins, my brothers, my children, and I, were all born and raised, and for the most part, died in Pennsylvania. In a word, we were Pennsylvanians! Plus, we hailed from Western Pennsylvania, yes, the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers. And, even a nit-whit knows about the rivalty between this team and the Cleveland Browns. So, upon transferring from my job in Pittsburgh to Cleveland, I often bragged of my ancestry orgin of Western Pennsylvania to those throughout the State of Ohio.

When my uncle died in the early eighties, I was given the Jones Family Bible, printed in 1821, which contained the family births, marriages, and corresponding dates back to 1821. This book, an oversized Bible, printed in 1820, had this writing on its cover page, "Rev. Suguars T. Jones, Pastor, St. Paul A.M.E. Church." This was the home church in Washington, PA, where the family were members over many years.

In 1998, I was browsing through "My Family" website developed for online research by the Latter Day Saints (Mormons), when I decided to input the names of my paternal great great great grandparents as shown in our bible. Frankly, I was of the belief, (a prejudice belief) that there probably would be no information on their marriage data base for people of color. BLAM! At the stroke of midnight, what came up: the names (as written in the bible) of my ggg grandparents, with their marriage in BELMONT County, Ohio, in December 21, 1821, and their son Suguars T. Jones' birth date in the same county, in 1822. I can't tell you of the "rush" that came over me, lo and behold, we were Ohioians, at least in the northern states. Next, I had to figure out who I could call at midnight without being cursed for the act. Well, my baby brother, 20 years younger than me, from his college days, stayed up pass this hour. I called him. Thank goodness, he appreciated my blather saying his usual general response, "How about that?" I had to change my allegiance from the Steelers to the Browns, for which my family has tabled as a traitor, subject to annual harassmet, with no boudries. This is serious stuff!

As a result, I'm now connected with "found" relatives extending from southeast, Barnesville and nearby towns, northwest to Oberlin. A wide range of people, with genealogical interests unequal to none, who gladly share and develop our family history. Where once, there were just the Jones/Cox/Walters/Lucas families, now we can add the: Betts/Hargrave, Simmons/Newsome,and dozens of others who married into large families of Ohio. It's a great world, this research, just when older Pennsylvania Jones' members have died out, a new extended avenue appeared.

Jane Campbell Arrington

Messages In This Thread

What is your most interesting discovery?
What is your most interesting discovery?
Sounds like a book to write
Re: Sounds like a book to write

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy