Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: California Death Certificates

Vicky;

Well, I went to the Alameda County Recorder's new location (on Madison, just around the corner from the Alameda County Courthouse where these data used to be stored), and I was quite delighted to see how they've undertaken the task to digitize nearly all of their documents and provide them in a free, easy-to-use search format where you can display the image on the screen, instantly, and print it on a laser printer.

That said, though I found Jessie E. Nelm's death listed (5/18/1969), the image was not available in this database, not sure why. I did a search for all the NELMSes in the database between 1960 and 1970 and found two others (Artie M. Nelms, Jr. - 11/30/1960; and Erma Nelms - 2/11/1969), both of whose death certificates WERE digitized.

The short answer is that you'll have to write to the California State Dept of Health in Sacramento for a copy of Jessie's death certificate. I also did a public records search just to see if there was ANYTHING else on file for Jessie Nelms, just in case ... but found nothing. Lots of other Nelms documents, though. If you have some other names you'd like me to check, I'll be happy to.

So sorry, my friend. It was worth a shot. Good luck in your search.

- Lisa B. Lee, PLCGS
Oakland, CA

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy