Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Does Anyone Else Do This?
In Response To: Does Anyone Else Do This? ()

Yes, and I am even worse since I don't limit myself to "family members!" :-)

When I started using census records, I was amazed at the number of folks other than mine whose names I recognized, even as far back as the 1870 census. I started to get a feel for how so many folks in my small community were related to each other. I'd known they were related but since they weren't related to me, I'd never asked HOW they were kin to each other.

So I collect these folks too. Now I see old schoolmates, etc., and say "You know I have your folks in my data!" and tell them about it. I may or may NOT get an enthusiastic response, sometimes get referred to the unofficial "family historian." Which is okay too.

I just flew home on Monday from "back home" sitting next to the grandniece of my high school principal (from 49 years ago). Who it turned out had been to the same area as I had for a family reunion. We met in Las Vegas as we were changing planes.

I happened to see her tote bag from the reunion and spoke to her. (It had a map of the county with a star for the town which I recognized.) I don't have her relatives in my data, since I didn't know their ancestors were from the area, but I've already found them in the census and will now add them.

Another link in the totally interlinked county of folks.

toot

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy