Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: AAGGMV'ers Art Thomas/ Neila Murphy. .Thanks

Mel, George, Joseph & Yvette ..thanks for your compliments. They are greatly appreciated and warmly accepted.

Some backgraound on why Neila and I decided to submit our applications to OGS for those lineage societies.

We both belong to other local genealogy groups where AA's are in a very distinct minority, with usually no more than a couple of other persons of color. We are accepted as members, but our research had been looked upon with some skepticicsm. You know, the old thought of Black folks having no history, especially one with written records that prove our oral traditions.

When our research took us back to ancestors that fell into the various categories we then put together our application packets and submitted them for review. As you can see our documentation stood up and we were accepted by the OGS socieites.

The main point was to prove to the larger community that we (AA's) do have a history and here is some that has been researched, documented and reviewed the same as yours. BTW, all of the ancestors mentioned were persons of color. Although Neila and I are being recognized, it is our ancestors we are honoring specifically and the ancestors for all AA's in general.

I don't know if an explanation was needed, but we were/are serious about having AA family history and genealogy being shown in as positive a light as possible.

Thanks again and forgive my "preaching to the choir".

Art Thomas

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy