Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Help - interpreting 1910 census

I am leading a family history writing project on my Monix-Crowder roots. The earliest Monix family I found (George "Municks", 1910) lived in Dunleith, MS (Washington Co.) for about 20 years. This time span is inferred from various records (George and his children). I want to construct a picture of what life was like for the Monix family in this town.

Dr. Woodtor's book inspired me to approach this by learning about the local history.

On of my starting points is the 1910 census. I used this reference list (http://www.martygrant.com/gen/refs/1910.htm) as a guide. Can anyone help me interpret some of the info? Was George Monix a farm owner or a sharecropper?:
Occupation - (18) Farmer (19) Farm (20) "Emp" Employer; his wife and children were "W" employees ("home farm")
Ownership of home - (26) Rent (27) checkmark (28) Farm (29) Number of Farm schedule = 238

The family sharecropped in Duncan later on in the 40's - 60's, so I'm inclined to believe that they were sharecroppers in 1910

I'm also looking for references that canp provide specific historical information on black life in Dunleith, Washington County, or the Delta region in the time period 1890-1920.

Thanks for your help.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy