Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Reed Family

A branch of my mother's family--the Reed's, held their biennial family reunion in Shreveport, LA this past weekend. We normally have a good time. This time I had a few added bonuses.

The Reed family descends from Elijah (Adkins) Reed and Amanda (Whitt) Nelson, both born into slavery in the 1840's and lived to the early part of the 20th century.

Elijah was a mulatto born to slave Mariah and a member of the slave owning family L.C. Columbus Adkins. I had the opportunity to meet with a descendant of the Adkins family in person for the first time. We have exchanged information via email.

As we shared stories, we toured the Adkins cemetery, visited the slave cemetery-known as "Old Pinehill Cemeter" where Amanda Reed's grave marker is still visible. Most of the cemetery is overgrown with brush. We toured the land, still owned by the Adkins and Reed families. As we were talking, my Adkins cousin stressed the importance of taking care of business regarding the land. Apparently that part of northern Louisiana is preparing for commercial and recreational development in addition to retirement communities. (A former NBA player has already set up shop there) This prompted me to mention this during the family reunion--now my plate is realy full as I was nominated to look into the land issues. (We're going to keep the land, because Elijah and Amanda worked too hard for it).

On another note, I also had the opportunity to meet with more distant cousins. They were the descendants of a woman (former slave) named Mary Adkins-Biddle, the mulatto sister of Elijah (Adkins) Reed. One of the things so interesting is how certain family characteristics can be passed down generation to generation.

Can you imagine how many living relatives each of us have? People that we don't know or people that could be living in the same community as you.

Each time I visit Lousiana or Arkansas is like a pilgrimage.

Just wanted to share this.

Lyle

Messages In This Thread

Reed Family
Re: Reed Family

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy