Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Skip Gates ...Discovering His Roots

From the previous Post:

"More recently, in part to find my own roots, I started work on a documentary series on genetics and black genealogy. I especially wanted to find my white patriarch, the father of Jane Gatesís children. The genealogical research into my family tree uncovered, to my great wonder, three of my fourth great-grandfathers on my motherís side: Isaac Clifford, Joe Bruce and JOHN REDMAN.

All were black and born in the middle of the 18th century; two gained freedom by the beginning of the Revolutionary War. All three lived in the vicinity of Williamsport, a tiny town in the Potomac Valley in the Allegheny Mountains, in what is now West Virginia."

==================================================================

The John Redman reference is quite interesting!!!!

It appears this is the same John Redman found in Paul's Book on FPOC's. (John & Sarah Redman...Hardy Co., VA).

I'm wondering if these are the same Redman's found in Shelby Co., OH from the 1840 Census forward? John Redman is found in 1840 on the same page as other FPOC's James Lett, Chas. Mason, Henry Shaffer & Archibald Fose (FOX). These are FPOC's who were early settlers with the Goings brothers of the AA settlement named Rumley, OH (1837).

Some have confused these early Redman's as being part of the Redman families belonging to the Randolph Slave group who also settled in Shelby & Miami Co., OH area. The Randolph group were not freed/manumitted until 1846, so the connection, if there is one, is cloudy at best.

I am not a Redman researcher, but there are connections bewtween Redman's and my family lines of Adams, Allen, Reno & Stanup, who were also setlled in Miami, Shelby & Champaign counties during this same period (1840's).

I would enjoy sharing and comparing notes on these family groups.

Art Thomas athomas9@woh.rr.com

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy