Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Spradley, Seruby, Saddler
In Response To: Re: Spradley, Seruby, Saddler ()

Hi,
My mother's mother was born Ella Schruby. I was told that it was misspelled and it should have been Seruby. He parents were Jonas (or Jonah) and Rachel(Saddler) Seruby. They lived in the Upper Freehold Township,( Allentown, Imlaystown, New Jersey) area.

My grand mother married Isaac Spradley and they had twelve children. Only two are left an aunt and a uncle.

My mother's mom died in 1956 at the age of 71. She was born in 1885 and my grand father was born in 1884, Isle of Wright County VA.

I never met any Serubys but there were some who lived on Route 130 in Robbinsville, New Jersey. I did speak to an Asay Seruby sometime around 1982, who lived in Yardville New Jersey. He was a fist cousin to my mom and her siblings. Unfortunately I never went to see him and he passed away a couple of years later.

There was a cousin named Annie Schruby (note the different spelling), who lived in Robbinsville and was one of the founders of the black Baptist Church in that town. Annie died 3/29/65, at the age of 107. I have a copy of her obituary. My mom recognized her as a cousin. Annie married Edward Schruby and they had four sons: Charles of Asbury Park; Edward of Robbinsville; William of Trenton and Asay of Yardville.

My grand mother's father's parents were Elias (b.1833) and Tabitha (b.1831) Scheruby. They had four children. Jonas, Hannah (b. 1/27/1855), Mary (b. 1856), Sarah Ann (b.1858), and Ann (b.1866).

I met a Howrad Seruby who lives in Trenton on Bellevue Avenue, a couple of years ago, he told me the name is supposed to be of an African origin. His father and I talked although he didn't recognize any names, he felt that most likely all of the Serubys in this area were related. He statedthat the name has been misspelled. My mother confirmed that the correct spelling was Seruby. In my research I discovered that there were many different spellings also, for example: Serubee, Schouby, Schruby and Shrube. Since most of the information I have is census data, the misspellings are probably due to the census takers spelling the name the way it sounded to them.

Did anyone in your family ever tell you about the Seruby who lived in, I believe Titusville and used to sell peanuts at baseball games in Trenton many years ago?

I really would like to meet any of my relatives from the Seruby tree. So if you have any more info please share it with me.

I hope the above is helpful in establishing some linkage. Would love to hear from you.

Messages In This Thread

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy