Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: What is your most interesting discovery?

This is a blessing to read everyone rich history and wonderful finds. for fifteen years I cry over not making any headways on both my parents sides.

1. Until... The "Stenny Execution." A young cousin, a fourteen years George Stenny Jr. was executed in back in 1944 in Columbia, SC. Cousin George was born and raised in Alcolu, Clarendon County, SC and was accused of killing and possible raping two little girls (eight and twele years old), the ususal point finger and ask questions later from the whites in that area, grab George and had pronouce hearing and judgement within one day and quickly had him executed thereafter, of course anyone who was a Stenny and remotely was related were all chase out of the state of SC forever, thus I did not discover this until I made a call to one of the local church in Clarendon County, years ago and a minister whispered to this the whole story over the telephone and later I was able to meet the sibling of George Jr. and the tons of cousins of George Stenny. Five years later at the bi-annually Stenny reunion it was bittersweet to meet the "Stenny Cousin." in Columbia, SC and visit George Jr. gravesite did I felt we were able to come back home. Later this tragedy still flows with Hollywood making a television movie and having a ficationalized version book published and yet there is still no apology or any form of restitution to the families...

2. Finding my grgrgrandmother, Lily (Lillie) Tucker in the 1900 census in Spartanburg, SC with her parents Pickney (her father has two wives, the first one Violet and have eight children by her and the last one Hattie nine children by her in the 1870 and 1880 census) and Hattie and nine sibllings. Just having for the last ten years with only her name Lillie Tucker which the only information I knew of until I did a (upteenth time) finally wildsearch card in Ancestry.com using ?li* Tucker. I cry for days on this great find.

3.My husband side finding out both our fathers are buried in the same cemetery in Mt. Holiness Cemetery, Butler, NJ only a few apart in addtion to my father there are my grandmother, a cousin/grandfather and my grgrandmother are all buried on top of each other. Hubby's side with his father are two uncles, one of the uncle's wife, a grandmother and a cousin. which we looked in the office and was able to find a granduncle living at the time in New York, NY we call him up and was able to have the most celebrated reunion with my husband's Lee family of cousins and most of all meeting his long lost Aunt Marcella Lee and throught her and the granduncle my husband was able to learn the rich history of his father Clarence Lee and Clarence parents Clarence Lee Sr. and Marguerite Perch and her families. I noted many of my husband families on both end as well my end on both my parenst sides live side by side in Harlem, NYC, NY for many years in the late 1890s up until 1970s and not one knew of each other or at least as far as we know of and yet my husband and me end up meeting in another borough - Brooklyn and getting married years later.

4. Lastly, learning the truth about my grandmother's father Lillie May Bobo. She was a the product of rape and her father was a relative. Learning this has help explain the behavior and somewhat dishonest lifestyle she lived to many of the descendents, to help us to heal and futher reunion with many of the long lost Bobo cousins spread out throughout the country, two years ago we has a reuion of close to 300 people my line was the missing link and to show up there and be embraced with the stories and tears of the event and the breakuup of the family was joyful and bittersweet at the same time.

5. Learning so much of myself and continue to elevated myself in ways I never thought would be possible and having the support and acknowledgment of many of my cousins Bobo, Stenny, Washington, Abdul Goni, Ali, Washington, Davis and Sherrods' and most the energy of my younger cousins to ask, help; watch the gleam & pride in their faces glow.

ZGS

Messages In This Thread

What is your most interesting discovery?
What is your most interesting discovery?
Sounds like a book to write
Re: Sounds like a book to write

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy