Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: 1720-1745 S.C. Slave Manumissions/Free Blacks

Hello,

Thanks so much for sharing your story! I find it very interesting because all of my ancesters are from Newberry and Newberry County South Carolina! I grew up in a small town- Tryon, N.C., and a huge population of African-Americans in that town are originally from Newberry County. Over the years, I have been able to go back to the late 1800s, but I'm now at a standstill. If you run into any Counts, Douglas, Worthy, Ferguson, Hunters or Masseys, they would be related to me. My grandparents were Counts, Worthys, Douglas and Ferguson. I saw in your story the name of "Suber." There were a ton of Subers in Tryon from Newberry. There were also Lyles, Hendersons, Griffins, Epps, Fants, Lemon, Sanders, Griffins, Renwicks, Beattys. I remember going with my grandparents to Newberry every second Sunday in August for homecoming at Renwick Grove Church. I was so young, I didn't have the desire to research my family history. For instance, I always hear of a "Dooley Place" where a lot of slaves and sharecroppers lived and worked. Although my great aunt and grandparents called it "Dooley", it may have be a name very similar. Evidently Newberry was heavily populated with slaves, and it's not a huge city. I have not lived in NC for over 20 years, but I visit often because I have most of my family still there. Most of my Newberry relatives moved from Newberry to Tryon, NC to work as domestics for the rich, or to Thomasville, N.C. to work in the furniture factories. They named an area of Thomasville "newtown", and they built small houses for the workers who migrated there to work in the factories.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to overload you. I just want to thank you so much for sharing your information! I look forward to reading more!
Cheryl

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy