Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Remembering The March On Washingtonn

This is really nice...On that particular day in August during the March on Washington, the truth to the matter is that a lot of Washingtonians, especially African American ones, did not attend. Some words had gotten out to what was the African American or Negro and Colored then that there would be some bad things happening, that it was not a place for residents in D.C. to go. However, there were just as many Blacks who went, but there were so many who did not. Yet, thanks to tv at the time the March on Washington plus speeches were on tv. Also, some like me who were of the very younger set did not focus on it; though we knew of the goings ons in the South, we knew how things were going on here in D.C. and even up North, but in a lot of ways, some things did not cross our, or should I say, my path. Yes, I went South for mostly one thing: to see relatives, and I knew of colored and white signs, and yes there were sometimes I spoke out, but again my mind was on Emmett Till. Back to D.C.: The March on Washington caught my mind when a young pastor named Martin Luther King Jr. stood up and spoke out, and boy did that hit me right in the face, the chest, and everywhere. Joseph

Messages In This Thread

Remembering The March On Washingtonn

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy