Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: On Line or In Library Research?

Okay, I'm gonna disagree with you gals on this one. With more and more digitized images going online, I can get much more research done in a shorter period of time by printing images out on my home computer. Then, when I do make it to the library, I have more time to devote to documents that are not available on the web.

In my case, with many of my ancestors originating in Canada (and my living in California), it's pretty costly and time consuming for me to travel to Ontario to do research. Thanks to Ancestry.com's new addition of Canadian census and vital records images online, I've been able to find birth, death and marriage records for family members from the comfort of my California home or office.

Sure, I could travel to Toronto, find the microfilms I need, then fight with lousy or tempermental microfilm printers at the Ontario Archives, but why bother when I can pull up an excellent image online and print it out as many times as I want on my own printer? The more "preliminary work" I get done via the internet, the more time I will have when I do travel to Toronto to go through old military, land or other records which will probably never be digitized.

In my opinion, the ability to do ALL of my U.S. Census and some of my Canadian census work online and much of my vital records work online is worth its weight in gold. It's not perfect, not by a long shot, but it's a tool that I fully intend to take advantage of.

Of course, the internet will never replace libraries, but the internet may allow us to dig much further into our family's history than ever before, because we'll be able to make better use of our time.

All the best in your search,

- Lisa B. Lee, PLCGS
Oakland, CA

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy