Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: What is your most interesting discovery?

Here are a few of my interesting discoveries. They are not listed in any particular order.

1. Finding a letter written by my grandfather after he died in May 1973 in which he wrote about himself, his parents, and his grandparents. He wrote that his father was born in 1856 on Riffle Pont Plantation, Concordia Parish, Louisiana “in slavery time”. I started researching my family’s history on that day and, later, found the plantation to be Rifle Point Plantation.

2. Discovering through my daughter Julie that some of the research could be done online. This inspired me to resume researching after having become frustrated with the manual index searches and having to go through a process to obtain a researcher’s card in order to gain admittance to several archives. Julie, who was in contact with Marva Peavy, introduced me to an online bulletin board which has become AfriGeneas. We use to read and post messages on a bulletin board and participate in a chat on AOL. My brothers and sisters on AfriGeneas continue to provide me with help and inspiration. I am blessed.

3. Receiving a Guide on the Records of Ante-Bellum Southern Plantations from the Revolution through the Civil War from University Publications of America on loan for 15 days prior to when they published the work. This allowed me to prepare myself to obtain the family papers of one of the owners of Rifle Point Plantation from LSU on loan.

4. Discovering and making contact with descendants of the plantation owner who sent me letters, shared information, and have kept in contact with me.

5. Being contacted my a descendant of a plantation owner who made it possible for me to meet Artemus Gaye, a descendant of Ibrahima who was sold as a slave in the Port of New Orleans. He later gained his freedom, but died just as he arrived at Liberia. Artemus is from Liberia and resembles my grandfather whose father was born a slave in Louisiana. I attended Artemus' graduation as he received a Masters in Theology and a Masters in Journalism. I had studied Theology, but received a Masters in another discipline. I have not found documents to show we have a connection other than we research some of the same names.

6. Discovering that my maternal grandmother who raised me is not my grandmother. I have learned information about my mother, her mother, and her mother’s family.

7. Discovering that I am related to the uncle of Nicka Sewell after reading her online post and being able to speak with him by telephone on the same day.

8. Discovering that Cynthia Crump who read my family information online and contacted me is the great granddaughter of my paternal grandfather’s brother. Cynthia sent me a picture of my great grandmother.

9. Discovering some of my ancestors are listed in the census as Indian, Black, White, and Mulatto. Actually, I wasn't surprised since we grew up in Chicago (1930s, 40s, & 50s) living not far from cousins who were living as White. There was a story going around that a man found Native American children sitting by a road after the tribe had been driven across the Mississippi River. The man took care of the children with his family until he died and then the children were sold as slaves. The man's name was Adams. There were two boys and one girl. One of the boys was called Mingo. My great greatfather is Mingo Adams. I have no proof that this story is true.

10. Discovering in a copy of a family letter sent to me by a descendant of the plantation owner that the plantation was owned by another family member earlier and this owner fathered a child by a slave woman and raised the child, a mulatto male, as his son. The boy was sent from Louisiana to another state. I am currently researching for more information.

Ed Adams

Messages In This Thread

What is your most interesting discovery?
What is your most interesting discovery?
Sounds like a book to write
Re: Sounds like a book to write

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy