Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Artie Whetsel (Whetsol)
In Response To: Artie Whetsel (Whetsol) ()

Hi Arne:

I did some preliminary search on the Whetsel family. You mentioned that Larry reported that Wetsel was listed in the 1920 census. Whetsel was living in Washington D. C. as a roomer in the house of Thomas Boyd. There are two other roomers whose fathers were all born in Maryland. Perhaps the census taker made an error in entering Maryland as his father's place of birth.

It's interesting to note that Arthur is only fifteen years old and living on his own. The other roomers are named Scheaf. Lewis C is 61 years old and there is a female child aged 5. Louis C says he was from Ohio.

Since Arthur was born in Punta Gorda Florida, I checked various census in Florida. Punta Gorda is a fishing town in De Soto County (it was part of Desoto when Arthur was born in 1905)..I found no Whetsel's in the area. There are however, many Whetsel's in Duval County in Jacksonville. And lots of Whetzel's in Ohio.

The names listed below could be the grandparents of Whetsel and his father's sister:

Grandfather

Jerimiah Whetsel
Home in 1900:
Jacksonville, Duval, Florida
Estimated birth year:
abt 1839
Birthplace:
Ohio
Race:
Black
Relationship to head-of-house:
Head

Grandmother

Alice Whetsel
Home in 1900:
Estimated birth year:
abt 1854
Birthplace:
Florida
Race:
Black
Relationship to head-of-house:
Wife

His Aunt:

Elsie Ann Whetsel
Estimated birth year:
abt 1880
Birthplace:
Florida
Relationship to head-of-household:
Daughter
Home in 1880:
Marital status:
Single
Race:
Mulatto
Father's name:
Jerry Whetsel
Father's birthplace:
OH
Mother's name:
Felicia Whetsel
Mother's birthplace:
FL

Please note that I used the 1900 census because it might show Arthur's father. The 1880 search shows that there is one child in the family named Elsie. I approximated the birth of his father as being in before or in the 1880's. The other census (later ) still tells me very little. I checked the draft records, but haven't determined if there is a match. Jessie , his possible grandfather was in the Civil War's US Colored Troops and has a pension record/file.

If there are some other hints about Arthur that might lead to his family's history, please let me know. You can either contact me here or at the address above or at the jazz research site,

Best regards,

K Wyer Lane

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy