Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: William Ray - Kansas
In Response To: Re: William Ray - Kansas ()

I believe my William Ray was in Onaga in Pottawatomie County Kansas:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~onagakansas/obituaries/obits_ra_ri.html#ray_william

RAY, WILLIAM (Handwritten date 9-11-49)
END COMES TO OLD RESIDENT – Onaga’s oldest and only colored citizen was taken Sunday morning, when Bill Ray passed away at his home.

William Ray was born near Lexington, Kentucky, about a hundred years ago, of slave parents. Not very much is known of his early life, except that he remembered the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln. He was married in early life.

More than 50 years ago he came to Kansas and worked in the country about Irving for a short time, later moving to Onaga where he has resided until his death, September 11, 1949.

“Uncle Bill,” as he was known to all, was a kind, honest and industrious man, liked and respected by all. A friend said, “I never heard anyone speak ill of him.”

He was converted and became a member of the Nazarene church in Onaga, attending services as long as his health permitted, and was always happy to have Christian friends offer prayer in his home.

Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon at the Tessendorf Chapel. Rev. Ruth Campbell, former Nazarene pastor in Onaga, conducted the service, as had been requested by Mr. Ray, and his favorite hymns were sung by Kenneth Bureman. Burial was in the Onaga Cemetery.

Card of Thanks –

We wish to thank the many friends and neighbors, who were so kind to Bill Ray during his illness and death, and also for the floral offerings.

P.B. Clayter

Minnie Clayter and family.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy