Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Funeral Flower Girls
In Response To: Funeral Flower Girls ()

Hello,

I too am from the South, Texas, that is. The flower girl is a longstanding tradition. I do recall my relatives who are in the 90's and 100+ talking about young ladies who would gather flowers from gardens and fields to carry to the church then to the grave site. As years went by it changed some. Flower girls are the ladies who may or may not be family will carry the flower arrangements out of the church after the service. It has always been just as soon as they close the coffin after the final viewing in the church/service. They line up outside between the church and hearse as the deceased and family come out. Then they are handed over to the undertakers who normally puts them into the hearse or a separate car. They are taken to the cemetry and removed again and the ladies carry them once more. After the family is dismissed normally the flowers on stands/easels are left at the cemetry, the green plants and some of the other arrangements are carried back to the place of gathering for the family. In recent years I have seen quite a few families divide the flowers up at the cemetry, especially those that were sent on their behalf ( jobs, friends, clubs, etc.).

One of the earlier writers was correct in using the flowergirls or flowerbeares as a resource. Especially if names were listed or an organization.
Bj

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy