Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Racial marraige in NM late 1800`s

Is the person you are referring to named David TODD?
I found this in 1870 Mora County, La Junta
TODD, David, B, 23, Farmer, born MO
TRUJILLO, Prejeta?, W, 17, Keeps house, born NM
TODD, Jack, Mu, 01, NM

It seems like I looked this up before..a while back?

I'll assume she was Spanish rather then Mestizo...A vast majority of the Spaniards (Eurpeans) were fare-skinned and blue-eyed people of Celt and Roman, etc. background ....unless she was a descendant of the Iberos people. In spanish costum, females retained their maiden names. You may still today find women (and men) who still use this costum. Therefore I wouldn't assume it was a common-law marriage (or whatever term was used) because of her name.
My materal G-Uncle Carleton married Antonia, a Spanish/Mestizo girl in the late 30's...her father a Spaniard and mother a Mestizo and she had a double surname. She used her father's and mother's maiden name. Eventually dropping them both to her husbands name. A Traditional would never drop thier father' name but she may drop her mother's. This naming system is almost as confusing as the old Norwegian and Swedish systems!

As far as marriage records go, you might look into the local Catholic Missions of the time. I can just about be certain at that time the Catholic missionaries were wide spread.

Vera

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy