Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Midwives Exhibit - March 4, 2006
In Response To: Midwives Exhibit ()

To all:

On March 4th, my self and a good friend, Ana Salinas, attended the midwife seminar (see previous link) in Washington DC with guest speaker, Brianse Merritt, granddaughter of Ms. Elvira Barrow Martin, who was a Tuskegee midwife.

I thought the information that was given by Brinase was good and very interesting. She even had a display of family photographs which included some of my relatives, as well as some of her relatives that I had only heard about or have seen their names on census data.

My only drawback about her presentation was when she was asked by someone in the audience who her grandmother apprenticed and who apprenticed her, Brinase responded that she knew no one that her grandmother had apprenticed and that the woman who apprenticed her grandmother: "she was a woman who was married to my grandfather's brother" and that was it. Mind you, she and I are both aware that my great-grand aunt, Katie Harris Martin, was her grandmother's apprentice. In November, I sent her a short bio on Katie, hoping that she would include it in her presentation.

Someone also asked her how they found out about her grandmother being a midwife and she exclaimed that she gave the article to someone who posted it at "Doll's Genealogy or something like that".

I have a problem with people not giving credit where credit is due. The ancestors are surely watching and God don't like ugly!

Thus, I had to acknowlege my presence (at the end of the seminar) and had to introduce myself to the audience as being a genalogy researcher of Macon County, AL. To the woman who asked the question about the apprenticeship, I introduced myself as the great grand niece of Katie Harris-Martin, the woman who apprenticed Ms. Elvira.

Also in Brinases' presentation she mentioned Afrigeneas as being a resource for African American research. I had to add a little more to this by stating my association with Afrigeneas and the many tools that are available for African American researchers.

Several people approached me after the seiminar with questions. I did give Afrigeneas' web address to a few people and passed out my card to others.

With no hard feelings against Brianase for some of her oversights, I did present her as a gift, a copy of her great-grandfather, Calvin Barrow's marriage certificate as well as one for this brother, Wallace Barrow.

Within the next year or so, Brinase will have completed her book on her grandmother, entitled: I Ain't No Ways Tired: Grandma Hands. This should be interesting to find out what was included and what was left out.

PS: Photographs taken at the seminar will be linked later.

Doll

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy