Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Holman/Cunningham/Mack in TN

Hi to all!

I have hit the proverbial brick wall in my search for descendants of Anna M. Holman-Cunningham-Mack, who died in Knoxville, TN in 1975. I am hoping that someone can shed some light on her.

I found her listed in the 1920 Rhea Co., TN census as Anna Holman, age 21, and being a teacher. She was in the household of her mother, Hattie Henderson, age 56. Also in the household was Anna's brother, Archie Henderson, age 26.

My father, James Audra Thompson, was born in Dayton, Rhea Co., TN in 1919, and his maternal family in Rhea Co. were the Holmans, so I'm thinking that Anna had been married to one of the family members. However, no one seems to know anything about her.

I didn't find anything else about her until I received a copy of her obituary from someone who knew of my Holman family ancestry.

Lo and behold, no mention was made of her previous Holman connection! Her mother was listed as Hattie Henderson and it was stated that Anna was originally from Dayton, Rhea Co., TN

Her obituary listed her as Mrs. Anna Mae Mack, the deceased wife of Mr. Raymond Mack, who she married in 1948. She had lived on Cansler Avenue in Knoxville, TN.

A previous marriage to the late Dennis Cunningham, Sr. was listed, too. That union produced one son, Dennis Cunningham Jr.

Among Anna Mae's survivors were her grandsons, Bruce and Dennis Cunningham, and a great-grandson, Dennis Cunningham III, all of Columbus, Ohio. There was also a sister-in-law, Mrs. Lula Smith, of Anderson, SC.

Another part of the mystery pertains to a Cunningham connection to my father's uncle, Wallace Holman, who died in 1993 in Chattanooga, TN. In his obituary, it stated that he was survived by a cousin, Ruth Cunningham, of Los Angeles. My parents, my siblings, and I have lived in the Los Angeles area since 1954 and we had never heard of Ruth Cunningham! Uncle Wallace came out here a few times to visit our family, but he never mentioned that he had a cousin living here.

If any one has information pertaining to these family links, I would truly appreciate hearing from you.

Anita Thompson-Snow

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy