Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Bundrant family: West Va., Va., N.C., and D.C.

Rachel C. Scruggs Bunderant married Samuel Wilmer. then she married George "Washington" Moore. They lived in Greenbrier County, WV.
This is what I have on her:
1900 Census, GC, Irish Corner District, BF, 36, b. 10/1863, wife of Samuel Wilmer, had 8 children, 8 still living.
1910 Census, GC, ICD BF, 47, wife of George W. Moore, she'd had 10 children - 10 still living,
1920 Census, GC, ICD, BF, 57, wife of Wash Moor
1930 Census GC, ICD, BF, 66, 1st married at age 40, wife of George W. Moore (71)
See the article HISTORY OF BRUSHY RIDGE COLORED 1924 by Frank U.G. Peck (which can be Googled & shd come up on the W.V. Div of Culture site). She is mentioned therein.
Shuck's Greenbrier County Birth Records page 213 (mother of Sidney L. wilmore (here she is listed as Rachel Wilmore) & page 305 (mother of Charles E. (Rachel Witmore)
See THE DARKIES (which can be obtained from the Greenbrier Historical Society in Lewisburg - it is a few pages) "Washington Moore married (first) Martha Peyton & (second) Rachel Wilmore of Va.)
Her children are all named Wilmer (and descendants are still in Lewisburg, W.V.). I think one runs the only taxi in town. Children: Mary W., Sidney L, Julie A., Samuel O., Luvernia, Charles, Raymond, Rachel, & Mattie.
The Moores and Wilmers were a big presence in this area. I have much more information on them. Please feel free to contact me directly.
Part of my family was from Fayette and I believe I might be descended from the enslaved EMILY who married BIG SAM - see the "Darkies" which unfortunately, I either don't have presently or can't find. They all - the Moores - worked around Nickell's Mill - and my greatgrandmother was the seamstress for the family post emancipation. I have spoken to a descendant of the slave holder & have received some information. There is also a MOORE - BOONE family history. The head of the Boone family was "Daniel Boone". Though he was Black he had blonde hair and blue eyes. He married Jennie Moore. He was out of North Carolina.
Carol

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy