Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Aurelia Wheeldin, Apollo Theater & Female Boxer

We would appreciate death index (and/or city directory) lookup(s) for Aurelia Wheeldin in NY. Unknown if she took the last name of husband, Irving Carrington, a doctor in the Brox circa 1950s.

Aurelia Wheeldin is a cousin of Carol Wheeldin Warren. She and I would appreciate your help. I am a volunteer.

For fun, education, interest here is one of the productions Aurelia was in. (source: Internet Broadway Database, http://www.ibdb.com/default.asp)

The credits for this production have not yet been completed or verified.
"Fast and Furious"
New Yorker Theatre, (9/15/1931 - Closing date unknown)
Preview: Total Previews:
Opening: Sep 15, 1931
Closing: Sep 19, 1931 Total Performances: 7

Category: Musical, Revue, Original, Broadway

Opening Night Production Credits

Produced by Forbes Randolph

Sketches by Forbes Randolph, John Wells, Zora Neale Hurston, Lottie Meaney, Tim Moore, Clinton "Dusty" Fletcher, Jackie Mabley, Leighton K. Brill and Sigmund Herzig; Lyrics mostly by Mack Gordon; Music mostly by Harry Revel

Directed by Forbes Randolph; Choreographed by Jack Donohue

Opening Night Cast

Melva Boden
Lois Deppe
Clinton "Dusty" Fletcher
Baby Goins
Edna Guy
Juano Hernandez
Zora Neale Hurston
Midgie Lane
Jackie Mabley
Emma Maitland
Tim Moore
Etta Moten
Al Richard
Neeka Shaw
Grace Smith
Aurelia Wheeldin
Hemsley Winfield

In January 1927, Aurelia and Emma Maitland returned from performing in Europe in a "boxing skit" ("St. Paul Colored Girl Challenges French Battler" "St. Paul Echo", St. Paul, MN courtesy of Brendan Henehan, author, "Minnesota Black Newspaper Index", Minnesota Historical Society). They are both identified as female boxers. They were both prepared to file for boxing licenses in New York to take on the European boxing champion, Jeanne Le Mar, of France. Le Mar was prepared to go to the Supreme Court to get a license for a female to box in the U.S. legally.

Both Emma and Aurelia were in the production of "Harlem" at the Apollo Theater, 1929. They were both still in the area in 1931. I have been unable to find anything further on Emma.

Here is what I know about Aurelia and her immediate family. Please forgive my working notes.

1 William L. Whilden
----------------------------------------
Birth: 1862, South Carolina
Death: aft 1930
Father: William Whilden (~1830-1900)
Mother: Charata "Charity" Brown (~1833-1894)

Carol says went to MN, found 'em 1920 Ramsey, MN. To MN per 1920 census by 1896. Also there 1910, 1930

Spouse: Frederica
Birth: abt 1870, NY
Death: aft 1930
Marr: abt 1888

Children: Fred A. (1889-1956)

Lucille B. (1896-)

Aurelia Maria (~1902-)

1.1 Fred A. Whilden
Birth: 10 Jun 1889, Brooklyn, NY
Death: 4 Jul 1956

He was a porter in a bakery, born Brooklyn, NY, married. Karen found
1. WHEELDIN, FRED A CPL US ARMY DATE OF BIRTH: 06/10/1889 DATE OF DEATH: 07/04/1956 BURIED AT: SECTION 2E SITE 184C LONG ISLAND NATIONAL CEMETERY 2040 WELLWOOD AVENUE FARMINGDALE, NY 11735-1211
(631) 454-4949

1.2 Lucille B. Whilden
Birth: Jan 1896, Minnesota

1910 census Ramsey w parents gone from home by 1920 Carol says to Karen, search for Lucille White

1.3 Aurelia Maria Whilden
Birth: abt 1902, Minnesota

1920 with parents, 1927 per St. Paul MN news returns from Europe with Emma Maitland. 1930 census actress in theater NY, Carol says she married a West Indian M.D. who worked in Harlem in the 50s. Irving Carrington. Can't find any info on him. Carol says he was born in the Bahamas

Spouse: Irving Carrington
Marr: aft 1930

Children: Joan

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy