Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Documenting Compton Marriage?

1) IF SLAVE OWNER LIVED AS HUSBAND AND FATHER, were the couple married with license OR a private cerremony RECORDED OR was their marriage assumed to be "common law"? I have not found a marriage license, bible record, etc. for 1st family of Slaveowner Henry W. Compton (b. 11 Oct 1813 KY & d. 1895 Davidson Co,TN) and slave Ann (unknown maiden) mulatto .. they lived and raised children in Davidson Co, TN. They are listed in census with children .. he recognized his children and educated them.
2) DEATH CERTIFICATE for 1st "wife" Ann (maiden?) Compton, mulatto, Davidson Co. area, DIED I PRESUME before 2nd marriage in 1874. The family graveyard was at their home on Hillsboro Road . the home burned .. the Compton graves were moved to Calvary Cemetery. Does anyone have record of the 1st Ann Compton and know of a cemetary named CALVARY CEMETERY in Nashville, Davidson Co area?
(2nd FAMILY INFO NOT NEEDED - records are available: He later had 2nd family, white, with Annie Ward (b.1815, Maurey Co.,TN) marriage license 29 Apr 1874 in Nashville, Davisdon Co, TN & they are listed in census with daughters.)

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy