Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Documenting Joshua Compton

SOMETHING MUST BE IN LASTING WRITTEN FORM FOR JOSHUA COMPTON! He was mulatto oldest son of white landowner Henry W. Compton & mulatto Ann (Maiden name?, place of birth?) Joshua was born and lived in Hillsboro Pike/Davidson County, TN area ... in addition to being "overseer of father's farm & skilled artisan ... influential & prominent with unusual position as "MAGISTRATE OF THE COURT AND ASSISTANT TAX COLLECTOR, serving for 12 years ... the large land owners, Compton, Van Leer Kirkman of Oak Hill, and General W.H. Jackson of Belle Meade wanted him .. Negro hands voted straight for Josh. .. polls at Mays' Store ... from 1883 to 1895, the name of Joshua Compton was listed along with John Overton, Tom Treanor, and the other Causasian squires." I have Joshua listed in census, but haven't found anything in writing, tribute to his success in the white person's domain of the time .. please help, appreciate so much! It is not that I want a Magistrate of the Court in MY family .. it is that I want a tribute to this man, which I think is certainly due to him in HIS OWN family history!

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy