Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Could this be Will HAWKINS in 1900?

Hello,

I looked at everything and could not find a Will Hawkins in the 1900 census that matched either. However I do not think that the Will/Wilks Hawkins of Putnam county is your Will but I am just guessing at that conclusion. I would go with 1880/81 as the date of birth for Will because of the 1920 census puts his age at 39 and the WWI database puts him at being born in 1880 as well. It is not unusual for people to be missed in the census. In my case, I could not find my gggrandfather in the 1870 census but I did find him in the 1867 and 1870 tax records. So, I want to encourage you to go beyond the census. Try to look for court records, tax records and also voting records. Before Jim Crow came around, afro-americans were allowed to register to vote.

So, the census records are not the end of it all, however they are just the beginning of your search.

I would say that he was in Elbert county in 1900 because George was in Elbert County in 1900. It maybe, that he was working away from home and was missed in the census. He was about 20 in 1900. The key to it would be to find out if Minnie was his first wife or second or if he was single in 1900.

It is kinda hard to connect the dots when you have someone born between the 1880 and 1900 census because if the parents were missed in 1880 and then they were missed in 1900, it is a challenge to find them.

Just dont forget about the half dozen other records out there such as death records, tax records, voter records, and court records that you maybe able to get info from.

Tony

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy