Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: find history JOSHUA COMPTON, Davidson Co, TN

Denise, thank you so much ... I would not have looked for Henry T. Noel and Maria L (COMPTON) Noel to be my family, since listed as white .. Maria was mulatto, daughter of Henry W. Compton. Henry W. Compton is listed in 1870 TN census with Ann and children Joshua, William, Dennie, Maria L., and Mary. Then in 1880 Henry is listed with Ann (Ward) and first daughter. I don't see first wife Ann any more after the 1870 census.
Maria's brothers were sent to Fisk by their father Henry (slave owner/father) and his daughter (perhaps Maria .. could have been Dennie or Mary) was sent to New York to study music. I wrote to Fisk asking if I could verify that Jonathan Compton and William (TN Quarterly named William as Henry) Compton were enrolled and/or graduated from Fisk .. no reply.
I do not know where to start to find Henry W. Compton's mulatto daughter at a music school in New York. I just think this is interesting since most men of the day did not acknowledge their mulatto family and Henry even sent them for higher education.
Henry W. Compton married Ann Ward 29 Apr 1874, starting a white family. I think/hope his black or mulatto "wife" .. don't find marriage info... Ann (____) Compton passed away prior the the marriage to Ann Ward and the start of their family of 4 daughters.
Joshua served as Magistrate in Court and Assistant Tax Collector .. history given in earlier message I posted ... very unusual for a mulatto man to serve for 10 or 12 years! Would like to see newspaper article .. I bet he made news!

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy