Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: find history JOSHUA COMPTON, Davidson Co, TN

Okay Edra,

I have looked at 1850, 1860, 1870, and 1880 cenus records for Henry W. Compton.

In 1850, Henry is with his mother Susanna. And he is 36 and appears to be single.

In 1850 census, Henry is listed with his mother Susanna again and is 46 and appears to be still single.

1n 1870, Henry is listed with wife Ann who is listed as being 34 and born in Virginia. The children listed are Joshua age 15 (your Joshua Compton, I assume) William age 10, Dennie? age 7 and female, Maria age 6, and Mary age 1. But whatis very interesting about this cenus is that it states Ann, his wife is Mullatto and all of the children are listed as M for mullatto. Could it me that this Ann is Joshua's mother?

In 1880, Henry age 66 is listed with Annie his wife and she is 28. Notice the age difference between this Annie and the Ann of 1870. Also this Annie is listed as being born in Ireland. Now the Ann in 1870 is listed as being born Virginia. The age difference and places of birth are very obvious. There is also a child name Susan metioned also in this census. It maybe that in 1870, Henry and Ann were not at home when the cenus taker came by, so the children may have had to give the info to the cenus taker and may have gotten some info wrong. If that is not the case then, The 1870 Ann and 1880 Annie are not the same person but are in fact two different women, the 1870 Ann being black (mullatto) and the 1880 Annie being white.

However, according to ancestry.com family tree, Annie and Henry married on 20 APR 1863. So, if that date is correct then 1870 Ann and the 1880 Annie are possible the same person. Also, the ancestry.com family tree section states that Annie Ward was born in Tenn as well. So this is rather confusing.

Also, Henry Compton in the 1860 slave schedule is listed with 57 slaves. Several of the slaves are listed as being Mullato.

I hope this helps

Tony

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy