Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Negro League Surname Update

Bijan,

I would like to add the name Nathaniel "Nate" Moreland to your list. He was my brother-in-law. Some time ago, my wife was sent an article from what appears to be the Los Angeles Times (no date attached--I hate that) which says, "The first black professional in the state was Nate Moreland, a Pasadena Junior Colege teammate of Robinson's, who played his first game for the El Centro Imperials of the Class C Sunset League on May 18, 1947, barely amonth after Robinson's debut with the Brooklyn Dodgers. . . . Moreland, like Robinson was a catcher at Muir Tech, but became a pitcher at Redlands University and 10 years in the minor leagues. He had a record of 152-104."

The article was published on the occasion of Jackie Robinson's 50th anniversary breaking the color line in organized baseball. Muir Tech is in Pasadena now known as John Muir High School and the school in Redlands, CA is the University of Redlands. I am told that Nate Moreland played in the Negro Baseball League and the Mexican League.

Hal

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy