Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

volunteer in Mississippi

Hi everyone---I am not an african american, but found your website and read through many postings while I was researching the ancestory of the people who previously lived in the immediate area I live no(in Jackson County, MS). I was really interested and wanted to volunteer to help out if I could...this research has been taking my mind off all the huricane damage around me. I don't want to leave out the history of the African Americans or Native Americans who lived on this property. I have ordered an archaeology report that uncovered Native American artifacts here and I am trying to learn about any slaves and/or "freemen" that may have lived here or worked at the sawmill that was once on the property--"Goode's Mill".
I have some documents (wills) of the Goode family that name slaves, but by first name only--this is from before the family ended up in MS--when they were in Virginia, they went to SC before AL and MS. If anyone is interested in that information let me know.
I enjoy photographing cemeteries if anyone is interested in one in Southern Miss within an hour or so driving distance, I'd do what I can.
I am also putting together information on my own family ancestry. Most of my ancestors were Cajuns who were driven from Novia Scotia to Louisiana and ended up in SE Texas. I do know that my maternal great-grandma's paternal great-grandfather whose name was Bolton, had a plantation-so I assume slaves-in Mississippi beore the Civil War and my great-gma who is still living has no idea what happened to the man after that and since I now live in MS, I told her I'd try to find out. She knows that her grandpa-son of the slaveowner and her father were sharecroppers in the Washington State area and that her grandpa told her that his dad had a plantation and that now there was a town there named Bolton after it. There is a town called Bolton, but I haven't yet driven there to find anything out for her b/c it is about 4 hr drive...when I do, I can post anything I might find.
I have a scanner, so I could email copies of documents to whomever would like.

Messages In This Thread

volunteer in Mississippi
Re: volunteer in Mississippi
Re: volunteer in Mississippi

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy