Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Dobbs County, NC - Horace Ballard

Kathy,
Ancestry does provide a list of the County Codes used in this database on the first page of the "North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-1996" at the very bottom of the page;

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=List&dbid=8908&ti=0

The problem is that the people who transcribed these early death records seem to have used a different county list of codes, the one that is being used by the North Carolina State Archives to code their documents by County. That particular list includes all current counties as well as old discontinued counties, and the numbering system is just plainly different. About the only numbers one can understand to some degree when viewing the actual pages are the age, which normally follows the name, then way over in the last few columns generally are in the following order, month,day,year/or county code, county code. You kind of have to familiarize yourself with the columns and it becomes easier. For instance, the main 2 counties that I have looked for deaths in were Warren & Halifax Counties. The code for Warren Co. in the death collection should be 93 as the description shows, but that number 93, is transcribed using the Archives County list instead, as Transylvania County. So if I see an individual that I am looking for listed as Transylvania, I know that there's a good possibility that he's the one I want by matching the ages, race, and likelyhood of his having died in that county. You really have to play it by ear and just learn as you go through it, I guess. I've been using it a couple of weeks now, and am kind of getting used to it, but I sure wish they would show another code list(s) that would tell us what some of those other columns mean.

Deloris

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy