Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: Seabron Fye
In Response To: Re: Seabron Fye ()

We haven't been able to verify if Lisbon Fye was Seabron's brother, but we suspect that he was. In Jefferson County, GA in 1870 black people were jailed for any reason. Cudjo Fye formed a group that said Black people could not be jailed without cause. A black man shot a mule that was on his property, destroying his crops. He was jailed for the offense. Cudjo and his group went to the town and demanded his release. The officials refused. They broke down the jail and freed the man. This is what led up to the insurrection, and the subsequent jailing of Cudjo and his group. Cudjo was sentenced to twenty years in prison. I don't know if he served the full term. The account of the insurrection can be found in the Sept 21st,1870 edition of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. The Title of the article is, Govenor Bullock and the Jefferson County Insurrection. We beleive that the Fye family lived on the Elizabeth Lowery plantation.(Springhill Plantation). In the 1870 census that you sited, Hubbard was my grandfather. I also could not find the following on any census report, Vulcan Ebo Fye, and Vergon Fye. Maybe you have seen them somewere. Thanks for the info.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy