Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re: 1910 and 1920 Census Lookup for FL

Tony, thank you!

I have tried to locate James and Queen in the death index, but to no avail, at least in Wilcox County. I believe that James is the brother to my great great grandfather Henry Carter. Family history has it that he was part native american. James and Henry were together in Butler County during slavery times. By 1870, James and his family had left and Henry soon followed with his family, so that by 1880, they were both together again in Snow Hill. I can place the birth of one of Henry's children in Snow Hill around 1872 and so I know they were there by then. Eugene Carter pastored the A. M. E. Zion Church in Snow Hill, Ala where one of Henry's children formed a gospel group there and it is still going strong to this day.

There is a James Carter who died in Mobile in 1909. I will retrieve the death record for him in the event they were moving around with Eugene. You sounded a little surprised to find Eugene still living in 1930. I wasn't. The Carter's are known for Longevity. My great grandmother (Henry's youngest daughter Evalene) lived to be 104 and very sane and fun to be around. I only wish I was as interested in family history then (1986) as I am now. I do recall asking her if she knew her grandparents and she responded that she did.

Thanks again for all of your help. This was wonderful information.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy