Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Re:SEENEY Death Certificate in Philly?

Thanks so much for your response, but I must tell you that this is the most frustrating search. Sara Seeney WAS listed in the 1930 census, then she was the Head of a house that had several boarders. In 1933 she signed her brother's death certificate - in Philly. For over 20 years she worked for the Duponts in Wilmington, Del., then retired and remained in Philly. She did not have relatives in Del. Her mother and sister lived in Portsmouth, NH and had died many years earlier.

After sending the 2nd $28 search request to New Castle, I spoke with the clerk doing the search and gave her all of the spelling variations that Sara had used throughout her life. Sarah, Sadie, Sara,- Seeney, Seney, Scott and Jones for surnames. The clerk called back and said she could not find her. My grandmother went to the funeral but I don't know the year...only that it was after 1933. Of course my grandmother has passed so it's not possible to ask her. She was the last "close" relative.

I called the cemetery where her brother was buried and they did not have a record of Sara's burial...for any of the names.

She was between 65 and 67 yeard old in 1930 and it's possible that she was alive in 1945 at age 82. Still, no record. Philadelphia sends all deaths after 1906 to New Castle, so that appears to be the only place to go.

Sara was born just before the Civil War ended, 1863. Her mother, Polly shows up in the 1870 census as Polly Jones, 1880 as Polly Scott and then back to Jones in later censuses, which is why Sara's name has changed. She used Seeney in later years and it's believed that that was her middle name.

Sorry this is so long...I'm just stymied! Do you think I should call New Castle again and ask for a repeat 3rd search?
Thanks,
Aurelia

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy