Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Colonial Louisiana Records(SAM/SEM)

I want to know where can go to research colonial records for the louisiana parishs of St. Martin, Attakapas, and St. Landry Parishs.
the information that is there may help me find out how my SAM ancestors became free. According to my research, they were free in the early 19th and late 18th century. Heres a little on some of them:

Jean-Pierre Sam(1809/1814-before1880)(g-g-g grandfather) son of Louis Sam and Elisabeth Senet/Semat married Euphemie Rideau(1840-1921) in 1856 at Lafayette. Euphemie was born free. Jean-Pierre was born free in St. Landry Parish.

Here are Jean-Pierre's siblings:

Angelique Sam(1822-1901)(libre) married Jean-Baptiste Jean-Louis(Simon) in 1837 at Grand Couteau, Louisiana. She died in Carenco, Louisiana and is buried there. I found a court record of her sueing over her husbands estate dated 1901. Jean-Baptiste died in 1866. They had no children. both of them lived in St. Martin Parish in 1850 and 1860 Us census.

Adolphe Sam(1830-?)= enumerated with Jean-Baptiste Jean-Louis and his sister, Angelique in the 1860 louisiana census along with a Philomene Sam and a Clemance Sam(1799). I dont know their relationship. But I did find a marriage record for CLEMANCE MASSE(LIBRE) married Pierre Barnabe(Libre) at Grand Coteau, Louisiana. Her parents are listed as being Pierre SAM and Francois MASSE. Interesting clue. On the internet,I found a website detailing the story of the FUSILIER AND MASSE families who came to St. Martin parish in the mid 18th century. A frenchman named Gabriel Fusilier De La Claire came to New Orleans and had a liason with a free woman of color known only as Jeannette. One of there free mulatto sons were Etiene SEM Fusilier. He had a son named Pierre Esope Sem Fusilier. But the both used SAM or SEM as their last name instead of Fusilier. Etienne Sem owned land a few slaves. His wife was Magdailine Masse( daughter of Pierre Masse and Lisette Masse,libre). Her parents were former slaves of Andre Masse, one of the first white men to come to southwest louisiana. I have a hunch my family was once owned by Andre Masse and Gabriel Fusielier.Both of these men freed ALL of their slaves beginning in the 1770's. When Etienne Sem(Sam) died, he freed two slaves, Pierre and Jean-Louis. Curiosly enough, my ancestors father was Louis Sam. And a fmoc named Jean Louis Sam appears in the 1840 LA Census with a few fpoc in his household. Could Jean-Louis be Louis Sam? Also I found an interesting 1836 marriage in the St. Landry Parish courthouse between two free blacks, Louis Sam and Babet Masse. The record lists their children as Angelique Sam, Don Louis Sam, Jean-Pierre Sam, Adolphe Sam, and Casimere Sam. I found a marriage for a Don-Louis Sam that occured in 1843 to Azelia Hernandez(free blacks).
All of the info seems to match accept for the mother. Jean-Pierre's mother is listed as Elisabeth Senet on his marriage. as well as his sister and brother. Babet means Elisabeth in English. Thats interesting. I believe that Babet is the mother instead of Elisabeth. Its just too much matchs. Any advice would be helpful to my search.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy