Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Breakthrough! Re: Charlie Harris from Bethune SC

Just wanted to share my 'breakthroughs' ..........

Thumbing though 1900 census in Kershaw , SC, not really even knowing what I was looking for, I saw the name Flanigan Harris, and it reminding me of a story that my father told me as a child. That initially, he had been named after his grandfather Flanigan, but for whatever reason his name was changed to Bobby-Joe. Hmmmm, I wondered. I had a funny feeling when saw that name..scrolled down and none of the other names looked right nor did and dates add up. So I started a search under Flanigan Harris, looking under my appropriate dates... and low and behold under 1900 - kershaw - flat rock - district 50 -pg 30, I saw a Flanigan Harris. Most of the bottom of the page is water stained, so it was hard to make out some of the names. Anyway I came up with:

Flanigan (head)
Katie(wife)
Josia or Sopia(daughter)
Maggie (daughter)
Beauty (daughter)
Sade or Sadia (daughter)
Charley (son)
Christine (daughter)
Capero (son)
Wildoing (son)
Pet (daughter)
Usilia (son)

Kinda confused with some pretty strange names, I deceided to pester my mother for more information. (Other than Flanigan, I didnt share with her the names of the people that I had found cause I didnt want to taint her thinking.)She fussed and told me for the millionth time,..I don't know those people! But, after a few hours of thinking, she called me back and told me that in addition to Aunt Christine, and Unca Usel, my father had an uncle named Unca Capers and an Aunt Beauty and an Aunt Pet(which she thought was a nickname)

Alas, now I assume that the listed names Capero really says Capers, and that listed Uslia is really Usel. Charley, Beauty, Pet and Christine seem to be a match as well. I feel asleep feeling very positive.

Well, I woke up this morning feeling lucky, did a search on 1910 - SC - Kershaw - DeKalb - Dist 68 - pg23 and found this:

Flannighan Harris (head)
Kattie (wife)
Sadie (daughter)
Flannighan Jr (son)
Christine (daughter)
Capers(son)
Mildrine (daughter)
Nicey (daughter)
Eyziel (son)
Kuth or Kieth (son)
Villifugua or Willifugua (son)
Laronuce (son)

I called my mother and shared these names and she ina very excited maner confirmed, yes..Aunt Niecy was one the name of one of my fathers aunts and that my fathers sister Mildred was named after his aunt Mildrine. She also remembered that Flannighan was hit but a train and killed and that was where the split of the family came.. some people got some money behind the accident and others got none!!!.

So with all of this newly found information I am very excited, but then I am followed with sadness, cause now I am like.....ok, how in the world do I find, the descendants of these people???

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy