Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

William Nelson Family AL>GA>MI>FL ?

I am looking for descendants of William Nelson, born in Alabama probably close to the 1860s. He moved to Cordele, Georgia ( Crisp county), married a lady named Maude and had four children ( Frank, George, Mamie and Maude.) His daughter, Mamie, was my great grandmother born in Cordele in 1896. William relocated to Pensacola, Florida where he died. Other than my great grandmother, I believe that his son George also had children. I am looking for his direct descendants. I am not sure when he was born but he was older than Mamie. He kept in contact ( by mail) with Mamie at least until the late 1940's (Mamie had relocated to Michigan.) I assume George died in Cordele around this time. Frank was killed in a hurricane in Florida. I also believe that each of William's children had plots of land in Cordele. They, of course, were subsequently "sold" to businesses. I think a drug store was built on one of the plots.

Any information is appreciated.

Regards,
Dawn Laws
she_stoic@yahoo.com

PS- The information you provide is so helpful. My small family decided that it was time to at least attempt to find our family. It's hard because we dont have much data. My great grandmother moved North and lost touch with her brother's kids after he died. We dont even know their names. My mother and I will be in Atlanta and then Cordele the week of July 16th. I know this is hardly enough time to gather information but it's worth the trip. If you have any additional pointers to maximize our visit/search, please feel free to offer any advice! I dont know if there is helpful information in Atlanta but we decided to stop there first.

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy