Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Future of Black History Month

Today, Scott, a professor of history at Howard University, is the newly-elected president of ASALH. The Atlanta Daily World recently sat down with Dr. Scott to discuss his new role as president and the significance of Black History Month today.

To learn more about ASALH, visit http://online.asalh.net.

ADW: What is your vision for ASALH?

Dr. Scott: Along with remaining the premier learned society concerning African Americans, ASALH has to begin to address the key issues affecting the lives of people of African descent today. For example, we must leverage our knowledge and expertise in the history of Black disfranchisement to mobilize the public against efforts to disfranchise Americans.

ADW: What do you plan to implement in your first few months as president – what are your immediate goals?

Dr. Scott: ASALH must expand its membership base by focusing on service, especially in the area of civic engagement. I think people want to reach beyond themselves to build and strengthen their sense of community.

ADW: How did you become involved with ASALH?

Dr. Scott: When I was an undergraduate in the early 1980s, my university did not have Black history courses, so I was teaching myself by reading the Journal of Negro History, which the Association published. During the late 1970s and early 1980s, the issues were being published irregularly, and when I asked one of the librarians for them she made a snide remark about efficacy of the journals. I vowed I would do what I could to assist the Association in my career. In 2001, I was asked to serve on the editorial board, and in 2002, I was asked by my late friend Gloria Dickinson to run for a seat on the Executive Council. It was my chance to keep a pledge that I had made to myself.

Messages In This Thread

Future of Black History Month
Re: Future of Black History Month

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy