Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Who Lived Here - Mystery "S"

I am currently on a genalogical journey. This journey is somewhat different from my normal journeys, mostly because it is not about a search for my own family, but a search to find out "who lived here.

I have lived in my current home for the last 25 years. When we moved there, on the outside of our fireplace chimney is a huge "S". We have always wondered what it stood for. The last owner's name did not start with a S. We had an inside joke that the "S" stood for our last name, "Spencer." Some folks thought that we had it mounted there.

When we made our purchase, we were told that there were only two other homeowners of the house. One being a doctor and then a family of two sisters and two brothers, one being a Catholic priest.

So my journey is to find out who actually lived in our house. The house was built in 1930. It is a semi-detached house and we have heard that the street was a dirt paved sreet back in the 30s. I don't have time to physically go to the archives or the register of deeds to find the info, so I will for now rely on what I can find online via census records, directories, etc.

Once I find all that I can find, I will come back here and post my findings and let you know if I solved the mystery.

This is a picture of the mystery "S"

Regina

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy