Join the Genealogy Revolution.
Search for your surname in the largest DNA database of its kind!

My Surname

Footnote.com

Banner - Family Tree Maker 2008

Domain Name Registration at GoDaddy.com 120x60

AfriGeneas Genealogy and History Forum

Following a Property Paper Trail

In tracking the paper trail for property (land) purchased by a 3rd great-grandfather, Lewis Adams, in 1829 has been almost as exciting and informative as doing the genealogy of this family line.

I would like to share images and information on some documents collected on this journey in a chronological manner.

!829 - Deed of Conveyance .... Deed of Conveyance which shows the Grantor (Richard Blue), Grantee (Lewis Adams), Location of property State (Ohio) County (Champaign) Section 23 Township 4 Range 12, Cost and the Date of Transaction

1857 - Adams property location on Plat Map of Concord Township Champagin County Ohio

1864 - Estate Settlement paper following the death of Lewis Adams. William Adams, son of Lewis Adams paid his siblings, all other heirs of Lewis Adams, in the amount of $3,000 for their share of the Lewis Adams property.

1870 - Agricultural Census Schedule reflecting the acreage, value & productivity of Adams property in Concord Township Champaign County, Ohio shared by Francis Adams (line 26), brother of William Adams and Lydia Adams (line 36), widow of William Adams.

1871 - Item #4 of the Last Will & Testament of William Adams describing the disposition of his Real Property & Financial assets following his death in Sacramento, CA in Aug of 1871. Naming brother Francis, Widow Lydia Ann Adams, adult children William Jr., Margaret and minor children Amelia and Isaac.

1992 - Grid showing the paper trail ownership of the Lewis Adams property purchased in 1829 to the ownership of that property up to 1992.

I have Tax Duplicates from the Auditor of Champaign County reflecting taxes paid on this property from 1830 to 1871... Lewis Adams 1830 -1864 and William Adams 1865 -1871.... More work is needed on the years following 1871.

Thank you for taking this journey with me...
Art Thomas

1829 Deed of Conveyance

1857 Plat Map

1864 Estate Settlement

1870 Agricultural Census Schedule
http://tinyurl.com/d4cb6c5

1871 Last Will & Testament Abstract
http://tinyurl.com/d3wdf8b

1992 Adams Property Paper Trail Grid

18 Dec 2002 :: 14 Nov 2008
Copyright © 2002-2008 by AfriGeneas. All rights reserved.
AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy