1. I made sure I updated to iTunes to 10.5
2. I made sure I had all updated apps
3. I made sure I was using the firmware just prior to OS5
4. I turned off all other applications other than iTunes 10.5
5. I gave myself some time
6. I got an error message saying that the update was
7. I didn't panic
8. I was required to use the restore button in iTunes (10.5) before continuing
9. I had to restart my computer (read on Apple's website)
10. I restored everything before I continued the process:
Apps, Movies, Music and Books etc
11. I thought my idevice was just restoring the current (prior
to OS5) software. It looked that way.
12. I took a deep breath and relaxed.
13. After the restore, I noticed OS5 was in fact restored (was that iTunes 10.5?)
14. I noticed the prompts to launch services in the iCloud
15. One prompt is for FindMyi--whatever--device
16. I saw three new icons on the desktop
17. And somewhere inside myself, I did a little dance.
If all else fails visit Apple's website or make this your first
There is one other important note. There is a distinction between and iTunes account and an iClould account. I had to figure out what to do because I purchased different devices and was told at the time that I had to assign different Apple IDs to each device.